Sunday, July 20, 2014

G.A.M.E.S. Week

After a successful school break and G.A.M.E.S. week, the school term began on Monday. Although I am enjoying being back in the classroom, I miss school break with the kids. I really got to know some of the kids during those couple of weeks, especially the older ones who aren't in my classes. 
G.A.M.E.S. was fun but tiring. I think that God gave me an extra dose—okay, five doses—of energy. I never have this much back in the States. I needed it that week! I was in charge of sports, which was fun, because I got to come up with all my activities for the kids. This was my second week in charge of sports, because the first week of break, some of the short-termers and I had put together a program for all of the kids. 

One of the highlights of G.A.M.E.S. week for me personally, and I think for the kids was water balloons. Two short-termers, Kathy and Lindsey, were in charge of the week, and they brought entire suitcases (note the plural term) of things for the week that they then donated to the school. When they had arrived, I sat in the living room, watching them pull thing after thing from their suitcases. I felt as if I were in the presence of Mary Poppins. Then Kathy said, “And in the next suitcase, I have a rocket ship.” 
I laughed, thinking that she was making a joke. “That’ll come in handy.”
“Yes, it will.”
She wasn’t joking. She had a folded up cardboard rocket ship that when put together, was big enough for kids to crawl into.
They had also brought water balloons. 200 to be exact. Let’s just say that they took a joint effort of and a couple of hours to fill up. The kids loved them. 
With 200 water balloons, I managed to spread them out among all of the classes (preschool to class six). We played hot potato, had some water balloon wars, did relays, and broke up a football game. Let’s just say that there is no quicker or more fun way to break up a football game. :)

One of the days on the break, some of the kids messed with my hair for the entirety of an afternoon. Add a wrap skirt and a container atop my head, and this is the result: 

I got a few wrap skirts (chitangas) in Lusaka, and one of the mamas said, “You are a Zambian now!”
I held up my wrist. “There’s just one problem.”
She looked at me, confused. “Bangles?”
“No, I’m white.”
She found this funny and after laughing, told me that I looked fine. 
I will try to post pictures soon, but it is 9:46 p.m. here, which is like midnight to us here at the village. :)

1 comment:

  1. It does not surprise me in the least that you found a way to include getting soaked in the fun.....remember begging your grandma and me to chase you with the hose?! ; )

    I am so happy that you continue to have such a great experience there, and I love the way that you write about it. It almost makes me feel like I am there....looking forward to seeing more pics. : )

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete