Saturday, July 5, 2014

Two posts in one week: this is unusual for me! I just thought I'd include a short blurb about my day today. 

Today, all the kids, some of the mamas, two of the short-termers, and I watched The Emperor's New Groove. One of the newer kids here, Mapalo, is three-and-a-half, and I held her on my lap during the movie. She's a sweetheart. For the first few weeks that I was here, I never saw her smile, but she's been a lot happier lately. It makes me so glad. She fell asleep, and then one of the mamas came and took her. 

Today, I also hung out with some of the kids. Near the playground, a few of the mamas were singing songs in Bemba. Rabecca, one of the kids I've gotten close to, was translating for me. Then I walked over to the mamas, where they were dancing and singing. 
"Nice singing," I said. 
They smiled and laughed. Then one of the mamas motioned to me. "Come join us."
I weakly protested, but I joined their circle, attempting to mimic their foot movements. I looked over at the playground and saw Rabecca watching, laughing. Then, because I was watching her, I missed the beat. The mamas all laughed at me. It was great. They're so much fun to hang out with: we spent a while talking too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment